Happy new year everyone!
Well, that’s out of the way. Resolutions are next, but let’s start with checking off my plans of last year:
- Visit Scotland (failed)
- Visit a BrewDog Bar (failed)
- Visit the Whisky Exchange (failed)
- Visit a Whisky Squad session (failed)
- Buy better whiskies and less ‘random’ bottles (success)
- Another couple of bottle shares (success)
- Brew my own beer (success)
- Size down my collection a little bit (success)
- Host a bottoms-up tasting soon (success)
- Go to the Whisky Fair in Limburg (success)
- Visit the De Molen brewery in Bodegraven (failed)
- Write more articles that aren’t tasting notes! (success)
12 resolutions, 5 failed, 7 successes. A little better than half, which is not good enough by my own standards. Of course, the first four were more or less cancelled in February when we found out Anneke was pregnant, but still. We just didn’t go on vacation last year.
For this year some things are changing. For instance, my budget has more or less be cut in half. This should still be okay if I focus on events more than on bottles and I will probably buy more samples too. Not a bad thing, but a change of mind. I might also have to find some way to generate some cash for booze, by doing tastings or so.
So here goes the new list:
- Brew 8 batches of beer
- Reduce the number of open bottles in my collection to 80.
I planned to go to 100 this year, but ended up at 109. This makes the coming year a bit harder, but there are many bottle ends waiting to be finished.
- Stick to my budget
What my budget is, is none of your business😉
- Write more articles that are not tasting notes
About 20 or so, about breweries, distilleries, people in the industry, techniques and such.
- Home tastings:
1: Blog Birthday Bash in August
2: Regional club tasting
3: Bottoms Up in March
- Finally start selling some samples from my collection
1: Whiskyfair Limburg
3: Hielander Whisky Festival
4: Jurgen’s Whiskyhuis
5: Brouwerij De Prael
6: Brouwerij De Molen
7: Brouwerij ‘t IJ
- Vacation in Scotland
2: Some other distilleries
- Translate old articles to English
- Another dinner at Hielander in Alkmaar
- Buy a bottle of Convalmore.
For some reason I set my mind to it, and I want one. An old one.
My focus for buying bottles will be more towards affordable bottles of good quality. I want to focus on quality over quantity but with the way prices are rising through the last year or two, it’s impossible to keep up. A lot of bottles are out of reach and that’s just the way it is. I did look around and for some reason there are still loads of great affordable bottles out there. Not in the least from Master of Malt and the Creative Whisky Company.
I also want to make some changes to the blog to get some more traffic in. I have nothing to complain with the stats of 2012, but I do want there to be some growth and on annual level I see that, but not on a quicker level.
Of course there are LOTS of other resolutions that have nothing to do with this blog or booze in general. In total I have a current list of 63 items, and more will be added through the year. Especially in the DIY sector there are some big things to be added after we make some more decisions on what to do and when to do it.