Another year, another party. Since last year worked out really well, I decided to do it kind of the same this time around. Booze and barbecue. Last Saturday was the exact date I started blogging three years ago, on a boring summer day while I was working from home and didn’t feel like programming for a bit.
Around four o’clock people started arriving and the first obfuscated bottles were put on the table. We left the whisky inside, since it was kind of hot outside and we didn’t want to ruin everyone’s bottles by putting them in the sun.
I made a liter of Whiskey Sour to start the afternoon and cool off a bit. There was half a liter of Basil Haiden’s left in my bottle and I find that an utterly boring bourbon to drink on it’s own. Some fresh lemon juice and syrup and we were on!
I’m not going to rattle up all drams since I didn’t take notes, nor pictures. So I am bound to forget a couple if I tried. The top drams were:
- A duty paid bottle from Springbank, from a very active Port cask. Bottle 1 of 1 that are available from the Cadenhead shop in Campbeltown. Intense and absolutely divine. Thanks Henk.
- Bowmore Tempest Batch 1. Always a stunning dram. Thanks Fulco.
- An Aberfeldy by David Stirk. Five minutes before it was revealed we were discussing the total lack of impressive Aberfeldies, for some reason. Thanks Martijn.
- A 20 year old Highland Park from Signatory. Thanks Jeroen.
- The 100 proof Glenmorangie from a couple of years ago. Thanks Tom.
- Not because it was good, but it was an experience: St. George’s Single Malt from Alamda. I love their gins, but this was filthy. Thanks Elco.
- I put in a Karuizawa from the seventies. Quite nice as well!
I tried a different recipe for the Pulled Pork, where I wrapped it in foil for the last three hours. It worked out splendidly with the meat falling apart when I unwrapped it.
All in all, it was a terrific night with many a great dram and terrific company. I am already looking forward to next year!
So thanks go out to everyone for reading my blog, for sending and trading samples, for showing up last Saturday! It makes it all worth it!
Oh, and if other people took pictures and want to add them, please send them to me and I’ll pop them in!