Copper & Kings Butchertown Brandy, 62%

I guess there’s a first for everything. In this case a first American brandy, distilled in a hotbed of bourbon distilleries: Louisville, Kentucky.

The brandy was matured in bourbon casks for an unknown amount of years, but we know it’s over two years old. If not, the label would have to state ‘immature brandy’. According to the interwebs this brandy was sourced from external producers and matured for 90% in old bourbon casks, the remaining 10% was matured in new oak barrels.

I’ve found it only available at The Whisky Exchange where it will set you back a whopping £ 90, which is absolutely not cheap. However, I really wanted to try it after reading a lot of cool things about the distillery. Also, when I ordered it, I planned to use it for an ‘American themed’ whisky tasting I hosted last year, however, it arrived a few days late.

Quite a lot of vanilla and fruit distillate. Sharpness, oak, lots of grape jam, figs even.

Sweet, quite syrupy with a lot of dry alcohol heat following. Numbing because of the alcohol too. Lots of fruit. Dry cinnamon dust, lots of baking spices.

The finish has a nice afterburner. Major notes of grape skin, raisins, twigs. Not too long though.

This is a belter of a drink, not something to knock back. Although, I guess the 62% ABV would have told you so as well. The spices in combination with the fruit drive distillate work very well and give you a proper brandy feeling, although it’s not similar to Armagnac. It’s far too rough for that, but not in a bad way. I thoroughly enjoyed this bottle and went through it in little over a year. Most people I gave it to enjoyed it too.


Copper & Kings Butchertown Brandy, 62%


About Sjoerd de Haan-Kramer

I'm very interested in booze, with a focus on whisky. I like to listen to loads of music and play lots of Magic: the Gathering, and board games too. I'm married to Anneke, have two daughters Ot and Cato, a son Moos and a cat called Kikker (which means Frog, in Dutch). I live in Krommenie, The Netherlands.
This entry was posted in Brandy and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s